Wine Tour Basso Lazio
Half-day TOUR to discover the wines of Lower Lazio, enjoy the 360-degree Panorama … You taste and we drive! It will be a memorable and fun tour! HOW: Get to know the Territory, the secrets, the history and the food and wine tradition through funny and informative comments, provided by our professional operators. Visit and get to know the best wineries of the Lower Lazio, make friends with the producers, taste their wines with winemakers … stroll among the vineyards.
Cantina Marco Carp
Wine tasting in the province of LATINA
Arrival at the Winery, meeting with the Owner who will accompany you on a visit to the winery with an explanation of the winemaking processes and tasting of three wine glasses per person accompanied by typical local products.
The tasting includes the tasting of three glasses of wine per person + typical local products: Cori bread and organic extra virgin olive oil of our production, sheep’s cheese matured in the marcs of our wine, salami with handicraft production produced nearby (Cori o Bassiano – salami or bacon or cured ham) organic table olives, dry Cori biscuits with wine / almonds.
Optional: long homemade pizzas: water and flour, yeast, salt, extra virgin olive oil and tomato (on request, 0.80 cents per each).
Continuation for a stop to visit Sermoneta and the Caetani Castle, whose origins of the Caetani castle located in the medieval village of Sermoneta date back to the 13th century when the Holy See entrusted the cities of Sermoneta, Bassiano, San Donato and other territories to the baronial family of the Annibaldi family annexes. In its territory, near the present Abbey of Valvisciolo, stood the ancient volsca town of Sulmo, mentioned by Virgil in the Aeneid. Return to the structure.
Cantina Sisco Cinc
Departure to go to visit one of the two wineries proposed south of Rome in the Province of LATINA
Arrival at the winery, meeting with the owner who will accompany you on a visit to the vineyards, and the cellar with an explanation of the wine-making processes and tasting of two wines with typical local products.
Tasting includes the tasting of two wines + typical local products (cheeses and cured meats).
Continuation for a stop to visit Sermoneta and the Caetani Castle, whose origins of the Caetani castle located in the medieval village of Sermoneta date back to the 13th century when the Holy See entrusted the cities of Sermoneta, Bassiano, San Donato and other territories to the baronial family of the Annibaldi family annexes. In its territory, near the present Abbey of Valvisciolo, stood the ancient volsca town of Sulmo, mentioned by Virgil in the Aeneid.
Province of Latina: What see!
The Province of Latina is much more beautiful than you expect it to be! Here you will find the surprises, the beauty and the places to see in the Circeo National Park and in the surroundings of the Province of Latina: on the coast and in the interior, in the Agro Pontino and on the mountains.
In Fogliano (LT), 80 km south of Rome, there is a coastal lake with a fishing village, an eighteenth-century villa (Villa di Fogliano) and a countryside where the Agro Pontino seems to stand still. Fogliano is the favorite walk of the inhabitants of Latina when they have time …
Lake Fogliano is the largest of the 4 coastal lakes of the Circeo National Park. It has two channels that connect it to the sea and guarantee the water circle. Around the lake the earth is dark and the buffalos live free around the marshes in a semi-marshy landscape that makes us think of the Agro Pontino as it could have been before reclamation. In the lake live aquatic animals including some swans in freedom. It is also an excellent location for birdwatching.
VISIT THE BORGO DI FOGLIANO
The Borgo di Fogliano was a fishing village on the shores of Lake Fogliano. The area was inhabited since prehistoric times. In the eighteenth century the Caetani, owners of the lake, built other structures that are those that still define the landscape.
Castle of Sermoneta
Once upon a time there was a disputed and strategic territory that was a stone’s throw from Rome and the Via Appia and along the Via Pedemontana. The Barons Annibaldi, to whom the Holy See entrusted the fief of Sermoneta, Bassiano and San Donato. The castle was built at the behest of the Annibaldi family, at the beginning of the thirteenth century , the manor was born more as a military fortress, in a strategic point of the territory between Rome and Naples, than as a noble residence: the external walls are over three thick meters and the whole structure is protected by a wall that rests on the living rock. Only the male and a counter-tower known as the “male” remain of this first construction.
In 1297 the Annibaldi family ceded the territories of Sermoneta, Bassiano and San Donato to the nephew of Pope Boniface VIII, Pietro Caetani, for the sum of 140 thousand gold florins. The Caetani spared nothing to make the Rocca degli Annibaldi a true military fortress, with new buildings and five circles of walls, which, thanks to a system of drawbridges, guaranteed the possibility of isolating the tower in case of attack.
The castle, which hosted Frederick II among others and Charles V in 1536, for a long time hosted Lucrezia Borgia who lived in Sermoneta for some periods under the pontificate of Pope Alexander VI Borgia. Other guests resided in the Caetani castle, such as the popes Gregorio XIII (1576) and Sixtus V, and of other illustrious personalities: of them there are traces in a room of the complex that housed the inscriptions (still preserved on a wall) of all visitors of a certain level.
The fortress was attacked many times over the centuries. In 1798 the castle was sacked by Napoleon’s soldiers who turned it into a prison and removed 36 cannons. The castle returned to the Caetani family again towards the end of the nineteenth century, with Gelasio Caetani, who was responsible for the impressive restoration work on the old family home. In the Second World War, during the landing of Anzio in 1944, the castle was still inhabited by the Caetani (Roffredo and Marguerite Caetani) and by their settlers escaped from the Pontine plain. Since 1977 the castle belongs to the Roffredo Caetani Foundation, created by the last descendant of the Caetani family of Sermoneta Lelia Caetani, who died on 11 January 1977.
Beautiful and quite well preserved with a dedicated tourist route, it is about 2 km long. It is made in a polygonal work of the first manner (6th-5th century BC) and restored at different times, a first time in a polygonal work of the third manner (4th-3rd century BC) and a subsequent time with a work of recurrence in uncertain work and the addition of towers (late 2nd century BC). Along the path of the walls three doors (Romana, Ninfina, Signina) allowed the entrance to the city; they were of sceo type. Of them only Porta Ninfina had been preserved until modern times, but it was destroyed during the Second World War. A copy was rebuilt in 1984 on the occasion of the Palio dei Rioni di Cori. Also in polygonal work inside the walls are the many substructures that create a series of terraces that determined the urban development of the ancient Cora; among the many, they are noteworthy: the construction that supports the Forum, the current area of Via delle Colonne; the building opposite the building of the Municipality in piazza Leone XIII and the construction, in front of the “Massari” school building supporting the Acropolis. The engravings of the walls and ruins of Cora made by Giovanni Battista Piranesi in 1764 are famous.
Roman Chain Bridge.
The ancient artifact (1st century BC), which allowed and still allows to cross the homonymous ditch of the Catena near Porta Ninfina; the bridge has a single arch about 20 meters high and is made of opus quadratum, the sides are in stone while the curvature is of tufaceous material. It should be noted that in Piazza della Croce there was another bridge of the same period as the Ponte della Catena, which was buried together with the ditch in the 1970s.
The Fossanova Abbey is located in Priverno, a few minutes drive from the Priverno-Fossanova station and is the oldest example of Cistercian Gothic in Italy. It is austere, bare and sober inside. The cloister is a rectangle of peace and beauty. Today plants grow next to the well …
Abbey of Valvisciolo
Built in rigorous Romanesque-Cistercian style, it is one of the greatest masterpieces of the genre in the province after the Fossanova abbey. Tradition has it that this abbey was founded in the 12th century by Greek monks and was occupied and restored by the Templars in the 13th century. When this order was dissolved in the 14th century, the Cistercians took over. A medieval legend is linked to this abbey, where it is said that in 1314, when the last Templar Grand Master, Jacques de Molay, was placed at the stake, the architraves of the churches broke. Even today, by carefully observing the architrave of the main portal of the abbey, a crack can be seen. The signs of the Templar presence consist of some characteristic crosses: in the first step of the church floor, in the ceiling of the cloister and the most famous of all carved in the left part of the central eye of the rose window, which came to light in the restoration of the beginning of the century. In recent times, on the western side of the cloister, knocking down a false wall, the five famous words of the magic palindrome came to light, graffitied on the original plaster: SATOR AREPO TENET OPERA ROTAS, with the variant, so far a unicum, that the twenty-five letters are arranged in five concentric circular rings, each of which is divided into five sectors, so as to form a figure similar to a target.
WHAT TO DO AT CIRCEO IN WINTER
The Circeo National Park is notoriously a perfect place for summer and spring. You can explore the beaches of the National Park and hike along the paths, go canoeing, snorkel, discover the caves of the Circeo Promontory, or simply take …
The Circeo National Park
Established in 1934 it is one of the oldest protected natural areas in Italy. Located along the Tyrrhenian coast of historic Lazio, it extends along the stretch of coastline between Anzio and Terracina, covering an area of 5,616 ha and taking its name from the homonymous promontory.
Located in the heart of the forest, it is the ideal starting point for an excursion. It is an equipped area where there is a wildlife enclosure with deer and wild boar. From here you can choose between different paths, all flat and not particularly challenging.
It houses the Documentation Center on School Education and the Sanitary Work in the Pontine Marshes.
The Villa of Domitian
In Palazzo, on the eastern shore of Lake Sabaudia, is the largest monumental complex in the entire Circeo area: the Villa of Domitian (1st century AD).
The considerable extension of the ancient complex, slightly smaller than the surface currently occupied by the area of the Natural Reserve of Circe Ruins, in which the villa is almost entirely included, makes it one of the most interesting complexes in all of Lazio.
Most of the travelers who visit Ponza do it for the coast of the island and for the incredibly beautiful water that bathes it. There is no doubt that Ponza is a wonderful sea, although a little too crowded in August, but there are also many …